Friday, January 11, 2008

Austin is getting his tonsils out

I took Austin to the ENT on Weds. Dr. Rohn confirmed that he does need to have his tonsils removed soon. He said in most cases it is a red flag if your child gets strep 4 times in a year. Austin has had it 4-5 times in 6 months. I really liked this doctor, he explained everything to me and Austin and took his fears away. He just told Austin that they will put him to sleep so he can take a little nap and then when he wakes up he will see Mommy right there next to him. He asked Austin if he liked Gatorade, Popsicles and ice cream. Austin said yes he did (of course!) and the doctor said he will have to take Mommy to the store before the surgery to load up on all these! Recovery time is 2 weeks and I will have to take off a week from work. The second week he can return to preschool but no strenuous activities.

I hate that my baby has to be put to sleep and undergo this surgery but I know it is best for him. I too had my tonsils out at 4 years old. He is tough and will do fine. I still hate it though!!!

So we go in for pre-op on Feb.1st and he will have to have blood drawn. The surgery date is on Feb.13th. Please keep Austin in your prayers! Mommy might need some too!!!

No comments: